Be vigilant at OR Tambo
Be vigilant when travelling via OR Tambo International Airport following a spate of criminal incidents and follow-home robberies from the airport.
ACSA released a statement saying that the airport is working with the SAPS to improve security at the airport. Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo said the SAPS is implementing strategies such as visible policing to improve security. He says the SAPS is also involved with major stakeholders such as OR Tambo, hotels and foreign embassies to educate travellers on how to reduce their risks.
Advice to reduce risk includes:
- Do not make high-value items visible to those around you
- Don’t discuss your travel plans openly
- Be aware of those around you as criminals don’t fit any special profile
- Keep your bags close at all times
- Be aware of someone following you by checking mirrors regularly
- Have emergency numbers ready on your mobile phone in case of an emergency
- Know where the closest police station is and drive there if you feel you are being followed