“A lot of travellers never think twice about protecting their travel documents before or during a holiday or business trip. However, protecting these documents could be the most important travel decision you will make.
First and foremost, we advise our clients to always ensure they take out Travel Insurance, and to check that whatever policy they take sufficiently covers them for loss or theft of travel documents. Also, important, is to have the insurance policy issued at the time that you pay for your holiday. Should you leave buying Travel Insurance to a few days before you travel…anything can happen between the time you book and pay, to the time of departure. Some holidays are booked six months in advance. This means you are not covered for anything happening to your travel documents before you leave.”
Tips we recommend:
- Keep certified copies of passports with you and copies in your luggage. In case your handbag gets stolen, you will have certified copies in your luggage.
- Leave friends / family members at home with copies of your full itinerary and certified copies of passports.
- Upload certified copies of passports, tickets, vouchers & itinerary to online apps (on your phone), or online systems such as Google Drive or Dropbox. These can then be accessed from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
- Keep passports and other travel documents locked in hotel safe. Try not to keep it on you in person while out and about (keep certified copies with you instead).
- Register with ROSA Online (Registration of South Africans Abroad) | The Department of International Relations and Cooperation.