Montusi Mountain Lodge, Drakensberg
Montusi boasts the privilege of space with suites set in open gardens; each with spectacular views of the Amphitheatre and surrounding Drakensberg mountains. This is an idyllic escape to space, comfort and peace.
Montusi Mountain Lodge, Drakensberg offers genuine hospitality, in the calm of one of the most beautiful settings in Southern Africa.
Space, comfort and peace are what you will find here. Treat yourself to the natural beauty, peace and romance of this Drakensberg retreat.
Montusi Mountain Lodge, is the only upmarket destination in the area; with a full view of the Drakensberg Amphitheatre.
Guests enjoy beautiful scenery from the comfort of their private individual garden suites.
The area is a Year-round destination: relatively mild, dry, sunny winters & beautiful, lush summers! Montusi Mountain Lodge is situated conveniently 1/2 way between Durban and Johannesburg; (Just over 3 hours drive from each).
Since June 2000, the Carte family at Montusi Mountain Lodge, provide an opportunity for guests, to indulge in the freedom of the Drakensberg experience.
The family believe in the conservation of the Northern Drakensberg. For ten years, preserving and planting indigenous trees; Changing a Wattle tree infested wasteland into a rehabilitated conservation area. Indigenous trees, as well as man-made forests, continue to flourish in this area, once inhabited by Bushmen. The birdlife, (once non-existent) is now abundant. Animals continue to thrive due to the rehabilitation; the likes of Mountain Reedbuck; Vaal Rhebuck; Bushbuck; also the Eland.
Montusi has plenty of space: Garden Suites set in open gardens; Family Suites as well as the newly built, spacious Mountain Suites. Suites also have great views of the Amphitheatre as well as surrounding mountains.
All suites’ offer a gas fireplace; wet-bar; fridge; tea and coffee making facilities (with coffee plunger); flat-screen TV; DVD-player and private patio. There is a private, covered carport beside each suite.
On arrival, guests receive fresh flowers, complimentary welcome drinks & nougat in the suite.
There is a turn-down service with home-made chocolate truffles. You receive an advance weather report.
Honeymooners receive complimentary sparkling wine.
HIGHLIGHTS of what sets Montusi apart:
• Excellent location with magnificent views
• Owner-run: hands on with genuine care for the area
• Wealth of local knowledge from 3 generations of family
• Knowledgeable management team with a genuine interest in optimizing guest experience
• Large estate with many activities
• Every building experiences full advantage of the view
• Unspoilt environment
• Involvement in community development & conservation
• Accommodates up to 40 guests
• Excellent cuisine
• Peace & quiet
• Extremely low incidence of crime
Activities available at Montusi:
• Complimentary daily guided hikes
• Birding; Horse riding; Trout fishing
• Mountain bike & running trails
• Tennis; Swimming
• Visit the bushman cave paintings
• Explore the Northern & Central Drakensberg
• Eat great food & drink quality South African wines at affordable prices
• Learn about the “real” South Africa by visiting our local Zulu tribal area
• Enjoy a delicious private Mpophomeni picnic lunch
• Emeleli Relaxing Massage
• Nearby: Adventure centre with quad biking, tree-top tour and more
• Play a round of golf at the nearby Amphitheatre Golf Course