Greek Food Lovers Tour
Greek Food Lovers Tour. Enjoy 6 days of touring while exploring the delicacies of Greek cuisine and hospitality.
Greek Food Lovers Tour
Only 25 years ago, olive oil was mostly an ethnic product, and the only place to easily find Greek yogurt as well as hummus was during travels to Mediterranean countries like Greece.
Thankfully, times have changed, but there is still much to learn. That’s what you will be doing during your weeklong tour in Greece.
Day to day itinerary:
- 12:00 – 13:30 | Honey Park visit: After your arrival at Thessaloniki, we are ready to start our journey. It begins with a visit at a local honey park. Here you will learn how bee’s produce honey, how many different types of honey there are, how many and which products we produce honey from and of course you will also taste it as well!
- 14:00 – 16:30 | Farm visit, cooking lesson and lunch. Panagiotis will talk about a day in a farm. He’ll guide you and show you every aspect of his daily program. After that, you will have a wonderful experience of Mrs Martina first cooking demonstration, followed by a lunch of the dishes we’ve just seen her make.
- Afternoon | Check in at Capsis Hotel Thessaloniki: After check in, take a walk around the city centre, Aristotelous square as well as Ladadika district, stroll along the Aegean water-front, or unpack and rest.
- 09:00 – 12:00 | Leave the hotel for a visit to Meteora area: We’ll drive south east to visit wonderful Meteora. Serene, spiritual, magical, mystical, extraordinary, breathtaking, immense, inspiring, as welll as impressive. These are only some of the words people very often use to describe the Meteora phenomenon.
- 12:30 – 15:30 | Truffle haunting: A Truffle hunt is on! Specialized truffle sniffing dogs will help us discover the truffle and find them. Cooking lesson of “Truffle pasta” in the forest, which essentially replaces lunch and visit to the Mushrooms museum. There, except the tour & the mushroom tasting you can choose your purchases, between 50 mushrooms and truffle products that the Museum has created.
- 16:00 – 17:00 | Check in at hotel, leisure time.
- 17:30 – 19:30 | Monasteries visit: We will leave the hotel for the famous monasteries. A trip to Meteora offers the unique experience of nature’s grandeur in conjunction with history, architecture as well as man’s everlasting desire to connect with the Divine.
- 20:00 – 21:30 | Dinner at a traditional tavern: After the magnificent monasteries, time for dinner! We’ll settle in for a family style dinner featuring an innovative take on Greek cuisine!
- 07:00 – 08:00 | Breakfast Buffet and early check out of the hotel: After breakfast, we’ll start driving to Grevena.
- 09:30 – 11:00 | Visit to Biological products and Famous Greek Feta of “Biopan.” Every kind of cheese and feta is here! You will learn the production steps, taste the products and of course buy them! Yogurt, Cheese of milk, Gourmet cheese and famous Feta are waiting for you to meet them!
- 11:30 – 12:30 | Visit to Kozani for Saffron Crocus: Second stop will be at Kozani for the famous local product named Saffron Crocus. In ancient Greece, the saffron crocus was considered a rare pharmaceutical plant. Hippocrates noted saffron’ s use as a natural painkiller, aphrodisiac, wound healer and remedy for upset stomach or insomnia.
- 13:00 – 14:30 | Lunch at a family restaurant: We’ll take a short drive to a family restaurant for a traditional country lunch in the mountains, along with a number of local families.
- 15:00 – 16:00 | Check in at Sklithro traditional stone guesthouse: Drive to Sklithro village and check in to Agorari guest house!
- 17:00 – 18:30 | Drive to Nymfaio Bear Sanctuary: Former circus bears that couldn’t adjust to their natural habitat, and bears that were living in inhumane conditions, were finally given a refuge in 1993. The “Arcturos Environmental Centre” created a mountain sanctuary for them above Nymfaio. Get to know the beautiful brown bears up close.
- 19:30 – 21:00 | Greek products dinner: Few meters walk from your apartments is one of the best restaurants in Greece. “Thomas Tavern” awaits you for a culinary experience, only Greek products allowed of course!
- 07:00 – 08:00 | Breakfast at hotel and arrival to Thessaloniki. We’ll leave the hotel early to get on the road to Thessaloniki.
- 09:30 – 11:00 | Oil press “Ecomare” visit: The first stop you’ll have today is at an innovative modern oil press, where you will learn the cultivation techniques for producing olives and enjoy olive oil and its products.
- 12:00 – 14:00 | Visit with The Women’s Agricultural Cooperative of St. Anthony: We’ll leave “Ecomare” oil press to have a demonstration of making traditional dishes by the women from the St. Anthony’s Women’s Agricultural Cooperative. They’ll also give us a small tasting before we head to lunch.
- 14:30 – 16:00 | Lunch at Perek restaurant: We’ll make a short drive to the Perek’s traditional restaurant. There you will have the opportunity to discover and sample traditional recipes from Pontus and all over Greece.
- 16:30 – 19:30 | Free time, rest time at the Capsis Hotel.
- 20:00 – 21:30 | Dinner at Takadum: A unique taverna in the city centre above Ladadika area. Beautiful Valaoritou area hosts the best bars and tavernas of the city!
- 07:00 – 07:30 | Breakfast Buffet at the Capsis Hotel Thessaloniki.
- 08:00 – 09:00 | Market tour: Enjoy a morning walking tour of Thessaloniki’s Modiano and Kapani markets, a few blocks from your hotel.
- 10:00 – 13:30 | Leave the market for a visit to Two of Thessaloniki’s World class museums: With our guide , you’ll visit Thessaloniki’s Archaelogical Museum and you’ll then walk to the nearby Byzantine Museum, for a guided tour, followed by a light lunch in the museum’s café.
- 14:00 – 16:00 | Visit to Mariana’s Vine Leaves: Now we’ll drive to an innovative vineyard. There you will have a cooking lesson with Mrs. Mariana, her traditional recipe of Stuffed vine leaves. Also, you will have a tour to the facilities of the farm and a light lunch!
- 15:00 – 17:00 | Drive for a visit to Gerovassiliou Winery and Wine Museum, plus a tasting of their wines. We’ll drive for a couple of minutes to visit the beautiful Gerovassiliou winery. The winery is owned by Vangelis Gerovassiliou, an innovative winemaker, who with his collection of more than 3,000 corkscrews as the centrepiece, has also created a historical wine museum.
- 17:30 – 19:30 | Free time, rest time at Capsis Hotel Thessaloniki.
- 20:00 – 21:30 | Dinner at Agioli: Walking by the sea is a restaurant called Agioli. You’ll settle in for your last dinner of this journey.
- Departure for your homeward journey.