2019 December Snowball, Russia
excludes flights & taxes
No stuffing turkeys or entertaining aunts, head to mighty Russia next Christmas or New Year! With fun and good cheer unwrap St Petersburg and the nation’s capital – Moscow.
2019 December Snowball, Russia – St Petersburg and Moscow
St Petersburg, the jewel in Russia’s Imperial Crown; is an enchanting city with a rich history and elegant Baroque and Rococo architecture; formed around a series of canals. And Moscow – the capital city, is home of the mighty Kremlin, legendary Red Square and fantastic St Basil’s Cathedral.
With a rich, as well as an occasionally tumultuous history stretching back centuries, the land of the tsars is a fascinating land to explore.
No stuffing turkeys or entertaining aunts, head to mighty Russia this Christmas or New Year! With fun and good cheer unwrap St Petersburg and the nation’s capital – Moscow. A fun, short tour of Russia in just 6 days. 2019 December Snowball, Russia; starts in St Petersburg ends in Moscow.
Proposed departures of 24 – 29 December 2019 &/OR 27 December 2019- 01 January 2020
Day 1: St Petersburg
- Welcome to Russia, the start of your winter holiday! Upon arrival you will be met at St Petersburg Pulkovo Airport; & transferred to your hotel for check-in. Later tonight, you’ll be treated to dinner with the rest of your group at the hotel, followed by an informative welcome meeting. Remainder of the evening, at leisure – your tour guide can recommend some local bars for you to try out.
- Overnight: St Petersburg | Dinner
Day 2: The Hermitage
- This morning a driving tour will give us an introduction to St Petersburg. We will make our way along the famed Nevsky Prospekt; past the museum as well as university districts. There is also a few photo stops that will be made along the way, at places such as the magnificent St Isaac’s Cathedral, as well as The Bronze Horseman. Later, we will enjoy a guided tour, of the Hermitage Museum in the Winter Palace; This houses one of the biggest and best art collections on earth.
- The rest of the day is free for you to further explore. Most of the city sights are dotted along and just off the main thoroughfare – Nevsky Prospekt. It’s an easy city to find your bearings and get around. St Petersburg has a spirited restaurant, bar and jazz club scene, plus some of Russia’s best beers.
- During our time in St Petersburg there will be the chance to book optional evening excursions such a traditional Cossacks performance or a night at the Russian Ballet. All optional excursions are subject to availability, and are booked and payable locally.
- Overnight: St Petersburg | Breakfast
Day 3: St Pete’s Sightseeing
- St Petersburg – Moscow. We start today’s touring, with a visit to Peter & Paul Fortress as well as the Peter & Paul Cathedral, which also houses the tombs of the Romanov monarchs. Then we’ll head out of the city, to explore beautiful Catherine Palace at Tsarskoe Selo (or Pavlovsk Palace if Catherine Palace is closed). At Catherine Palace, the exterior, as well as the interior of this lavishly decorated building, really catch the eye; particularly the spectacular Amber room. After stopping for a hearty traditional lunch at a local restaurant, we’ll continue on for a guided tour, of the exquisite interior of The Church on Spilled Blood.
- Meeting back at the hotel at an agreed time, we gather our bag, and also travel to the railway station for our overnight journey by train to Moscow.
- Overnight: Sleeper Train | Breakfast, Lunch
Day 4: Red Square
- An early morning arrival will bring us into Moscow; where we will head to our hotel for check-in. This afternoon, we will ride the capital’s efficient Metro to Red Square, for a walking tour. Here, we will see the fantastical St Basil’s Cathedral, the iconic Kremlin, as well as Lenin’s Mausoleum. We also admire the glitzy Neo-Russian facade, of the GUM shopping mall.
- The rest of the day is free for you to explore more of Moscow. Cultured out? Moscow’s restaurants and clubs are open ‘til very late! During our stay in Moscow there will be the chance to join one of our optional evening excursions, such as a traditional Cossack Show, or a Moscow by Night coach tour.
- Overnight: Moscow | Breakfast
Day 5: The Kremlin
- This morning we head back to Red Square; to pay our respects to Lenin – the grandfather of Communism, at his eerie mausoleum. It is here, that his embalmed body has lain in state since his death in 1924. Later, we will also continue to the Kremlin – Russia’s bastion of political might; Here we will enjoy a guided walk, through the grounds; Also seeing the numerous government buildings; gold-domed cathedrals, as well as the tsar bell.
- The remainder of the day, is free for you to relax, or perhaps visit one or two of the city’s plentiful museums. As an alternative today, we also offer an optional guided tour of a formerly top secret Soviet bunker.
- Overnight: Moscow | Breakfast
Day 6: Goodbye Russia!
- Our 2019 December Snowball, Russia tour comes to an end after breakfast; as well as hotel check out.